Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who's Boy Are You?

De 14:1 ¶ Ye are the children of the LORD your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead. 2) For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth. I was raised in the Appalachian Mountains where my dad was pastor of a church up a “holler”. Sometimes, I would be in town and someone would ask, “whose boy are you?” I would say, “I’m Preacher Moore’s boy.” I was always glad when the reply would be, “You favor your daddy.” My dad would often remind me to remember whose boy I was and to behave like it.
The Children of Israel were reminded that they were His children. Not only were they to behave like God’s children, but they were to not do anything to hinder their family resemblance. They were not to scar, mar or tattoo their bodies. Man was created in the likeness of God.
Why do you suppose that people disfigure their God-made bodies? Could it be the influence of a devil that hates the very image of God? I believe so. Satan not only hates God but seeks to destroy the likeness of God in mankind. He wants to make ugly and defiled what should resemble its creator.
There is an epidemic of scarring and tattooing of bodies today. To do so makes more of a resemblance to children of the world than children of God. Many religions mark their members with some form of symbol or unique clothing. That was true of the false religions in Bible days as well. Israel was to avoid such customs. As a Christian, we must remember that we too are God’s children but also, He lives within our bodies. We should not look like the children of this world but show forth His praise. Isaiah 43:21 says, This people have I formed for myself; they shall shew forth my praise.
Though many Christians have gotten marks of the past life upon their bodies, it should remind them that they have been forgiven by the scars put upon the body of Jesus. By His stripes we are healed.
Lord Jesus, thank you for being scarred to make me a child of God. Help me to look and behave more like God’s child every day that you let me live. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lonnie,

    I am your newest follower! Thanks for visiting Magnolia Cottage. I look forward to following along on your blog journey!

    Many Blessings,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete