Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Opposing Purposes

Zep 1:4 I will also stretch out mine hand upon Judah, and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place, and the name of the Chemarims with the priests; 5) And them that worship the host of heaven upon the housetops; and them that worship and that swear by the LORD, and that swear by Malcham; 6) And them that are turned back from the LORD; and those that have not sought the LORD, nor enquired for him.
Two men were riding a bicycle-built-for-two up a steep hill. Finally, they reached the top, perspiring heavily and breathless. “That was a steep climb, I didn’t think we were going to make it!” gasped the first man. “I know! If I hadn’t held the brake on, we would have slid down backward!” said the second man.
That is a funny story, but when we have a double allegiance to the world or our flesh and God we are as guilty. In the above passage of scripture, the nation of Judah had dual allegiance to idolatry and the LORD. God promised to bring judgment upon all those who “…worship and that swear by the LORD, and that swear by Malcham.” To attempt to serve God plus anything else is cross purposes. We become very frustrated in our struggles and get nowhere.
Jesus said, “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” Matthew 6:24 To hold to any other cause than serving the LORD, would be like trying to paddle up hill with the brake on. As for God, to give him half of your heart, He will have none of it. As for Satan, to give him half of your heart, he will take all. Until we surrender our hearts completely to the Lord, we will find our path an uphill climb, paddling with the brakes on! If we find ourselves struggling going nowhere, It may do us well to stop the bicycle were on and make sure all on board is surrendered to the Lord Jesus Christ.
Lord Jesus, forgive me for the displaced loyalties that I have at times in my life. I know that you purchased my life with your life. I am yours and yours alone. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment