Monday, February 23, 2009

Balaam's Donkey


Nu 22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face. 32) And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me: 33) And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.
Evangelist Billy Kelly, well known for his humor, was introduced before preaching by a pastor who wanted to rib him for his newly received Doctors degree. “Our evangelist tonight has recently received his Doctors degree. He is now an official veterinarian. He treats donkeys, monkeys and baboons.” Billy Kelly, who never could be outwitted, said, “Thank you for that introduction pastor. That is the first time I have ever been introduced by one of my patients!”
In the story of Balaam and his “talking mule”, we see hindrances to Balaam going his stubborn way. God had already forbidden Balaam to seek the fortunes and fame of those who would curse God and His people. Yet Balaam sought for a way to get his desire and avoid consequences of disobedience. It becomes evident that Balaam was more stubborn and blind to the will of God than his donkey. Yet, God in mercy allowed him to be hindered by a humble creature that cared for his safety.
We too are often hindered. Our hindrances may be a little child needing our attention or a fender bender or being denied a loan we so desperately desire. Perhaps when our intended destinations are hindered we should stop to examine whether we are truly in the will of God. Most of our angry frustrations with these aggravating hindrances are like Balaam striking his mule. It just might be God trying to get our attention to turn us from a destructive course.
Dear Lord, open my eyes like you did Balaam and his donkey. Let me see clearly your will and reveal the stubbornness of my own way. Thank you for the hindrances that come in my way. Lord Jesus, I surrender to your will, not my will but thine be done. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment